Today, May 22nd, just happens to be World Goth Day, and to commemorate the occasion, we’re honoring our favorite color in the world (black, duh!) by putting the spotlight on a perennial wardrobe essential – the Little Black Dress. While the color black may enjoy a yearlong reign as a beloved neutral we can’t live without, wearing an LBD in these sunnier, nature-worshipping months may have you feeling like a glamorous attendee of a funeral being held at da club, especially if everyone else is out picnicking and frolicking about in loose, white linens.
Not to worry. One of the best things about the Little Black Dress is its variety, and we’ve rounded up a bevy of black beauties that will lighten the fashion mood (ironic, right?) and not only help you beat the heat but also turn it way, way up. Take a look at our collection below, and before long (summer officially begins on June 21st!) you too can be celebrating summertiiiiime in the LBD ♫
1. Cold Shoulder Mesh Contrast Dress, 2. Such A Mesh Bodycon Dress, 3. In The Mesh Zipper Bodycon Dress, 4. Not So Sweetheart Mesh Strap Dress, 5. Heart Act To Follow Striped Mesh Dress
If you love that paradox of being exposed but feeling covered up, then the mesh inset has to be your BFF (Best Fashion Feature). Mesh is ultimately see-through because of its holey quality, and those million little pores in it that afford you that transparency will also allow your skin to breathe through the summer heat. Super hot and super cool. Yeah, we’d call that a Meshing Accomplished.
1. Crochet Away Tie-Back Shift Dress, 2. I Love Lacy Peplum Sleeve Midi Dress, 3. Get Lacy Strappy Dress, 4. Ace The Lace Embroidered Midi Dress, 5. Lady In Lace Accent Dress, 6. Out In The Open Crochet Dress
You can achieve a similar situation with a swirly crochet or an intricate lace, which can appear a bit more delicate, demure, and decorative than mesh. Whether it’s a slim inset or a full-on back, a little lace can liven and lady up any black dress. For a girly girl or a luxe lassie it’s definitely the Best Lace Scenario.
1. Rung Number Laddered Cut-Out Dress, 2. Cross Halter Cut-Out Midi Dress, 3. Millenium Cut-Out Dress, 4. Hole New World Cut-Out Dress, 5. Strappy Herringbone Halter Dress, 6. Don’t Shed A Teardrop Cut-Out Dress
Now if you like the being exposed part but also don’t mind the feeling exposed part, you’re totally Cut-Out For This type of Little Black Dress – the cut-out confection. There’s not much to say about this one. Cut-outs equal ventilation. Cut-outs also equal sexy sensation, which is exactly what you’ll be in one of these skin-baring smocks.
1. Knot Your Average Twisted Maxi Dress, 2. Hey Crochet Slit Maxi Dress, 3. Ruche Into Things Side Draped Dress, 4. Fluttery Draped Maxi Dress, 5. Basic Single Slit Maxi Dress
Speaking of skin-baring, normally we probably wouldn’t consider maxis when thinking about Little Black Dresses, but with the creative contouring on the ones above, we’ll allow it this time. So if you’ve always been a leg girl (or should we say, always been the object of affection for leg guys), we totally recommend continuing your Leggy Streak with one of these high-slit, high-impact LBDs.
1. Bow Off-The-Shoulder Bodycon Dress, 2. Keep It Simple Dress, 3. One Shoulder Openwork Trim Dress, 4. Sheer Thing Off-The-Shoulder Dress, 5. No Crossing Back Off-The-Shoulder Dress, 6. Single Lady One-Shoulder Mini Dress
But we’re guessing you have more than one good feature. Well, then. Give The Cold Shoulder to hot temperatures by showing off a woman’s best feature. Hint: They’re below your head but above your stomach, and there are two of them. No, not those! Your shoulders, silly! Cool off this summer with an off-the-shoulder or one-shoulder LBD. You carry a lot on your shoulders; like you, they should get a chance to come out and play too.
1. Trace Of Lace Cami Dress, 2. Slip My Mind Strappy Cami Midi Dress, 3. Asymmetrical Ruched Cami Dress, 4. Slip Away Strappy Cami Maxi Dress, 5. Lace T-Back Dress
It can be hard to get the motivation to go out and play, though, when the sun is scorching. Or at least, it’s pretty tempting to just run out the door in your birthday suit even when it’s not your birthday. Unfortunately most of us live in places where public nudity is
shamed frowned upon and probably promptly cited. What’s the next best thing to naked? Well, we’ve had a Cami Crush for a while now, and a light little slip dress would be the perfect easy, breezy LBD for summer.
1. Zip The Scales Mockneck Skater Dress, 2. Textured Panel Fit N Flare Dress, 3. Strap-Tastic Fit N Flare Dress, 4. Up High Down Low Skater Dress
And finally we have the skater dress. What better way to turn up the fun than with a flirty silhouette like that will instantly give your look some extra flare/flair? And that full skirt is exactly what you want to allow your legs (and your bum) that much-needed breathing room. In one of these dresses, they’ll have no problem feeling the breeze, and neither will you. We hope you’ve been inspired to update that LBD section of your closet. So get to shopping, and we’ll Catch You Skater!