1. Destruction Manual Denim Shortalls, 2. Mineral Wash Denim Overalls, 3. Crazy Paisley Denim Overall Shorts
Wondering what a mechanic, a farmer, and The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air all have in common? It’s simple. They all sported what’s now considered a reoccurring, ahead-of-its-time trend. And trust us, this 90s (not to mention 80s, 70s, and 60s) throwback is just enough to make you want to bust out those old Olsen twin VHS’s. If you haven’t quite figured it out yet, we’re talking about a pair of classically cool, tried-and-true overalls.
While the bib-and-brace look was once only worn by the working class as protective gear, the fashion world eventually managed to rear in its pretty little head and turned this once drab look into a fab denim statement that just won’t go away (we’re not complaining). The best part is that anyone can strap in and give this trend a whirl. So if you plan on buckling down…
Here are six tips to reach overall perfection:
1. Keep it simple. A crisp tee (solid or striped) and sneaks or heels should complete an effortless look.
2. Go for glam. If you’re looking to dress things up, don a blouse, a blazer, a pair of heels, and some statement pieces, like a necklace or clutch, to bring it all together.
3. Fashionista vs. farmer. If your goal is to look more like a fashionista than a farmer (ahem, it should be), avoid traces of flannel or plaid. Unless, of course, you’ve got a killer pair of booties or heels to complement the look.
4. Be loud. Don’t be afraid of different textures, colors, or prints on your overalls. If the dungarees you’re sporting can make a statement all on their own, refer back to tip number one for the rest of your outfit.
5. Strap on, strap off. It’s totally okay to rock the strap on, strap off look. Not only will you be paying homage to the late, great Lisa “Left Eye” Lopes, but your confidence will also shine through (even if you’re faking it).
off on. We don’t care what anyone says; wearing a top underneath is an absolute must. So, unless it’s for a special project, say an editorial photo shoot for Vogue, let’s leave that oh-so-bare look to the Chanel Imans and Karlie Klosses of the world.
Now that you’ve got this trend locked and loaded, take some cues from some of our handpicked street styled ladies and get to shopping!
Images courtesy of Pinterest
Shop the overalls trend & more @ GoJane!