By Amy Tsai
Happy Independence Day! Today is of course July 4th, and we’re hoping you have some fun things on the agenda. (Barbecue, brews, block parties, maybe?) But what will you wear to these festivities? If you’re like us, you’ll wanna be patriotic, but you’d also prefer not to look like a walking, talking, firework-watching American flag, right?
Well, we’re here to tell you – especially those of you trying to steer away from those super symbolic stars and stripes – that dressing for the Fourth is a piece of Barefoot Contessa flag cake. And that you can totally do the red, white, and blue thing without looking a bit like Uncle Sam in all his star-spangled glory. Don’t believe us? Here’s how!
Gotta have it? Just click an item to shop it now!
1. Chambray Away – Instead of a dark navy or a bold royal, why not make the blue you choose chambray? On a playful romper or paired with classic white jeans, this denim look gives off that fun, relaxed summer vibe, while the light material keeps you cool in the July heat. The result can only be described as rad, white, and blue!
2. Two Become Won – Another way to tone down red, white, and blue is by completely muting one out! Just pick two of the three for a two-toned or colorblocked outfit that is as chic as it is patriotic, whether you’re going for a casual night-under-the-stars ensemble or a nineties-inspired slip dress and tee perfect for a picnic.
3. Dye For Your Country – If you’ve got a tie-dye piece in a red- or blue-and-white hue, it’s exactly the one you should put on today. While you’ll still be wearing flag colors, the tie-dye distracts from the flag-color-ness of it all, takes it to a whole ‘nother level, if you will. We’d specifically go for a summery maxi or a firework-like motif.
4. Star In Stripes – If you don’t want to veer too far away from the flag, we’ve got two words for you – skinny stripes. Thin lines are such a classic print that wearing red and white ones might not evoke Independence Day to the average passerby. Mimic those majestic stripes with a flirty candy-striper dress or off-shoulder top.
5. Bare In Mind – And finally, if you decide to forgo striped or two-toned for a solid, monochromatic outfit, by all means! But we would suggest choosing something with a little pizzazz to break up the theme color – cut-outs, mesh insets, caged straps, exposed shoulders, etc. Something special! Today’s a celebration, after all…