By Hannah Blu
It seems like just yesterday that everyone was going mad for Marsala. (Guess that’s what happens when Pantone selects its illustrious Color of the Year.) But judging by red carpets the world over, we still can’t get enough of that stunning earthy-wine shade. From Gigi Hadid to Olivia Wilde, the burgundy eye shadow trend has been taking over 2016… And we’ve been dying to try it ourselves!
When done right, red-toned eye shadow can make any eye color pop. For this tutorial, we mixed burgundy with copper for even more eye-enhancing impact. Pair this bold eye look with a subtle nude lip or go all out with a matching Marsala lip color for a totally on-trend monochrome makeup glam.
What You’ll Need:
- Eye shadow primer
- Pink blush or eye shadow (We used NARS blush in “Angelika”)
- A fluffy synthetic blending brush
- Burgundy cream eye shadow (We used NYX Jumbo Eye Pencil in “Rust”)
- A pointed eye shadow brush
- Copper shimmer eye shadow (We used ColourPop Super Shock Shadow in “Game Face”)
- Black eyeliner pencil
- Your favorite mascara
What You’ll Do:
As always, start by applying a smudge-proof eye shadow primer to the entire eyelid.
- Using a fluffy eye shadow brush, apply the pink shade to the crease in a sweeping motion.
- Apply the burgundy cream eye shadow to the lid, stopping at the crease.
- With the fluffy brush, blend the cream eye shadow into the pink crease color using small circular motions.
- Apply the burgundy shade to the lower lash line and blend using the pointed brush.
- Using the same pointed brush, pat and blend the copper eye shadow onto the center of the eyelid and lower lash line.
- Finish the look with black eyeliner and a generous coat of mascara.