Fashion Hacks: How To Remove Stains
Messy eater? Clumsy wine drinker? Overall klutz? If we could wear bibs 24/7 without looking like toddlers, we would. Basically, we know that feel, so we’re presenting fashion hacks, the stain removal edition. Those cute duds of yours should stay that way.
Here’s a top tip: do NOT let the stain set. It basically means there’s a chemical interaction and the stain will bond with the fabric fibers. This is a big no-no. So don’t apply any kind of direct heat because it will help set the stain. Okay, moving on… Here are ten stains we inevitably find ourselves battling and a way to banish them from your closet.
1. Blood – Got a boo-boo? Riding the crimson wave? (Just keeping it real, ladies.) Rinse the stain in cool water and soak in lukewarm water with detergent for ten to fifteen minutes. Spot treat with an enzyme cleaner and launder as usual.
2. Lipstick – Oops, you missed the mark? No big deal. Try sponging or dabbing rubbing alcohol onto the stain.
3. Coffee – We need our caffeine fix, and a cup of Joe all over your new skirt could happen. Blot the stain with cold water using paper towels or a cloth. Pre-treat with detergent. Got an extra stubborn stain? Beat an egg yolk, add a little bit of warm water and a dash of rubbing alcohol, and dab onto the stain.
4. Tomato Sauce – Mmmmm. Spaghetti… Crap. We dropped a meatball. Dab and blot with a mixture of vinegar and water to help lift the stain.
5. Mud/Dirt – Working in the yard and outdoor adventuring is always cool. Mud and dirt stains? Not so much. Allow mud to dry and brush it off. Blot the stain with a clean, damp cloth. Flush with cool water. For a strong stain, try rubbing alcohol, then launder.
6. Foundation – Had a field day at the makeup counter trying on foundation? We totes understand because it’s really hard to color match. If you had a little accident, remove foundation by applying shaving cream to the spot and give it a good wash. If it’s an extra deep stain you can try an additional dab of rubbing alcohol.
7. Wine – Wine more, whine less… Isn’t that the saying? But we can’t have stains ruining our good time, so try these listed solutions.
- Red wine – Pour white wine (ironic, isn’t it?) onto the stain and let it soak. Wash in cold water and ammonia. Rinse thoroughly.
- White wine – Wash in cold water and ammonia. Rinse thoroughly.
8. Fake Tanner – Saving yourself UV damage and using fake tanner instead? You go, girl! If you smudged some on your clothes, don’t worry. Dab on peroxide to help the stain lift.
9. Butter/Cooking Oil – Fresh baked cookies? Count us in. If you dropped butter or cooking oil on yourself you can remove it with an overnight treatment of baby powder or corn starch to help suck up the grease. Launder as usual!
10. Perspiration – SoulCycle classes, stressful job interviews, and meeting James Franco make us perspire (that’s the ladylike way of saying sweat). Perspiration stains are, like, so persona non grata on our clothes. Try removing the stain with three powdered aspirin pills mixed in warm water. Leave the solution on for up to an hour and rinse in warm water. Repeat if necessary and follow up with vinegar for some extra stain fighting power. Launder as usual.
Got any other tips to share? Tell us in the comments. Plus, now that you have all of this precious knowledge at your fingertips, the first thing you gotta do is get some white clothing!
Check out our favorite picks below and shop new goodies at GoJane.com!