Man Crush Monday: Pharrell (AKA P. Willy, Pha-real, Lil’ Skateboard P)
What Makes Pharrell Williams Da Man:
- Pharrell was in his high school’s marching band (drums)
- Discovered by Teddy Riley (lead singer of R&B group Blackstreet) at a high school talent show
- Early Professional Collaborations: He’s written and produced for Wreckx-N-Effects, SWV, Mase, N.O.R.E., Kelis…and gained a ton of attention when he produced Britney Spears’ I’m A Slave 4 U.
- Recent Professional Collaborations: Nelly, Gwen Stefani, P. Diddy, Jay-Z, Daft Punk, Snoop Dogg, Justin Timberlake, Kanye West, The Hives, Questlove, Madonna, Beyonce, Maroon 5, Jennifer Lopez, Mac Miller, Miley Cyrus, Mika, Azealia Banks, CeeLo Green, Robin Thicke, Major Lazer, Future, Pusha T, and GOD. (JK. But seriously, he’s worked with everyone! Pharrell has basically influenced, if not created, this generation’s sound.)
- Married his longtime girlfriend, model/designer Helen Lasichanh on 10-12-13.
- Father to Rocket Williams
- Voted “Best Dressed Man in the World” by Esquire in 2005
- 7 Grammy Awards: Best Pop Vocal Album – Justified (as Producer), Producer of the Year – The Neptunes, Best Rap Song – Money Maker (w/ Ludacris), Producer of the Year – Himself, Album of the Year – Random Access Memories (as Featured Artist), Record of the Year and Best Pop Duo/Group Performance – Get Lucky (w/ Daft Punk)
Something about Pharrell takes us to a happy place.